We have all heard them before. The great quotes of aviation.
Your flight instructor, the old captain or the young green pilot trying to impress. Everybody uses them.
Here is a list of the most famous aviation quotes.
- “For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.”
– Leonardo Da Vinci
- It is possible to fly without motors, but not without knowledge and skill.
– Wilbur Wright
- Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
– Ernest K. Gann
- In soloing—as in other activities—it is far easier to start something than it is to finish it.
– Amelia Earhart
- In the air transport business more than any other, the human element is everything. That big plane in front of the hangar is only as good as the man who flies it, and he is only as good as the people on the ground who work with him.
– W. A. (Pat) Patterson, President United Airlines,
- That’s what we’re trained to do.
– Chesley B. ‘Sully’ Sullenberger III, Captain of US Airways flight 1549. The A320 ditched in the Hudson River with no loss of life.
- An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it’ll never surprise a good one.
– Len Morgan
- Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
– Franklin P. Jones
- I have flown in just about everything, with all kinds of pilots in all parts of the world — British, French, Pakistani, Iranian, Japanese, Chinese — and there wasn’t a dime’s worth of difference between any of them except for one unchanging, certain fact: the best, most skillful pilot has the most experience.
– Chuck Yeager
- The happily married man with a large family is the test pilot for me.
– Nevil Shute